Offboarding a project
Last modified on Thu 11 Aug 2022
A list of things you need to do before another designer takes over your project
- Invite the designer to all necessary files, folders and e-mail threads.
- Invite the designer to important internal and client Slack channels.
- Invite the designer to recurring meetings.
- Introduce new designer to the project team.
- Share important links and access credentials (username, pass) to app builds or website staging.
- Check if everyone at Infinum has access to the file.
- Check if the owner of the file and project is Infinum account.
- Schedule and make a general file cleanup: organise screens into flows, clean up unused styles and get rid of unused components.
- All pages have proper names and progress status (WIP, To-do, Done).
- Delete all the unused versions in the archive page.
Assets and documentation
- Make sure the new designer has access to Google Drive folder.
- Organize fonts and brand assets into Materials folder (if not done before).
- Pin important decisions and explanations on Slack channels.
- Let the new designer know where to find what.
- Make sure the designer goes through design coordination docs in the 🔒 coordination table.
- Make a brief presentation about the project setup, requirements and future tasks for the new designers.
- Introduce quirky terms or glossary specific to the project.
- Schedule a Figma file walkthrough meeting.
- Get into details on design system organisation and component use.
- Explain brand guidelines, color and typography use.
- Explain annotations or comments for developers.
- Explain how you communicate with the client usually (Slack, e-mail or weekly calls).
- Explain how you deliver and present the solutions.
- Explain the meeting setup (daily standups, weekly calls).
- Schedule a meeting with the project team and explain way of working with developers and QA.
- Don’t forget to mention doing regular design reviews.
- Assign all of the tasks to the new designer.
- Think of some nice ice-breaking tasks for onboarding.
- Let your PM know if you managed to go through everything regarding Figma file cleanup so he can count in some extra time for the new designer to do it.